2015 brings a lot of potential for career advancement. Our Recruiters have come up with their top 10 interview tips for those of you looking to start something new this year. Are you considering making a career move in 2015? It’s not too late to add it to your New Year’s resolution!
Top interview tips from the GDH recruiting team:
1. Arrive at least 15 minutes early.
2. Dress business professional. It's safer to over dress than be under dressed.
3. Research the company you are interviewing with. Have questions prepared, and not ones that could be answered by looking at their company website.
4. Have preparation notes, job description and resume in front of you during the interview.
5. The opening is very important. It sets the tone for the rest of the interview. Have a firm introductory handshake and positive professional body language. Establish a good rapport without talking about personal information.
6. Ask GREAT questions that show you want to bring value to the company and the role. Example – instead of asking “What are the primary duties I would be responsible for in this role?”, instead ask: “What are the top two or three things I could focus on in this role that would add the most value to your team?”
7. Be enthusiastic. Use body language to show interest. Use good eye contact and don’t slouch.
8. Be honest about what you know. It's better to say "I'm not sure" and explain how you would get the answer than to have an incorrect answer or embellish how well you know something.
9. Don’t talk too much. You could talk yourself out of a job.
10. In closing, ASK FOR THE JOB! If you’re interested, be sure to let them know! Summarize why you are a good fit. Ask “What is the next step?".